In addition to enhancing the in-game experiences at FC Cincinnati matches, Die Innenstadt works to better the community through charitable giving and volunteering. We want to have a positive, notable impact on the community. "Juncta Juvant" is our city's motto, which translates to "Strength in Unity". We believe that we not only have to be united on the field, but we have to be united off the field as well.
Rhinehaus Mug Club
In partnership with rhinehaus we have started a Charity Mug Club! This partnership started in 2017 and continues at all away game watch parties. By purchasing and reusing a glass mug you can help fund a local charity called It Starts With the Shoes - a 501c(3) nonprofit that provides soccer equipment for area students in need. It Starts With the Shoes started at Withrow High School, whose soccer team is made up entirely of refugees. The parents often struggled to afford equipment, so the 40 players were forced to share 23 pairs of shoes - often in poor shape and ill-fitting. Coaches for the team started this nonprofit to help their players get a decent pair of shoes. They have now expanded to help other area schools supply equipment for the kids who need it most.
To participate, you simply need to purchase a glass mug from the bar at rhinehaus for $10. The first fill is included and all future fills are regularly priced. A portion of all purchases made with these mugs goes to It Starts With the Shoes. You can bring back the mug from previous years, too!
In 2017 we raised $1,000 in partnership with rhinehaus and went to a Withrow game to cheer on the Tigers and present the check. We hope to raise even more this year and will keep you updated when we schedule a home game to attend.
You can also donate to It Starts With the Shoes directly at their GoFundMe Page here.
Mecklenburg Rotating Charity
While we have our Charity Mug Club during away games at rhinehaus, we are also partnering this year with Mecklenburg Gardens to raise money during our pregame events for all home games! For this there is no special mug you have to purchase. All you have to do is spend money on food or drinks at Mecklenburg Gardens on game day at our pregame events and a portion of all sales with go to a rotating charity! The charity will switch a couple of times during the season, and we'll notify everyone when that happens. In addition to a portion of proceeds we will also be encouraging donations online directly to the organizations.
- April-May (5 Games Minimum) - PASS Project
PASS is a fundraiser supported by DI member Curtis Jones. He is deployed overseas and in his free time is working with others in his unit to help build a futsal court in an interior courtyard of a neighborhood school. They are also providing some soccer equipment and personal hygiene items to make a positive impact in the region. You can find out more and donate directly to the project by visiting this link.
- June-July (6 Games Minimum) - To Be Determined
- August-September (6 Games Minimum) - To Be Determined
So come on out to Mecklenburg Gardens. Grab a liter of beer and some Chicken MeckTenders and help cheering on FC Cincinnati while supporting a good cause!
While our two main charities are our game day events at Mecklenburg Gardens and rhinehaus, we also have done other things in the past.
- In 2016 we hosted a canned food drive for the Freestore Foodbank during an away game at rhinehaus.
- In 2017 we won $100 from Listermann Brewing Company to a charity of our choosing. We donated the money to the Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati and added another $100 to the total from our funds.
- In 2017 we raised money and collected bottled water in partnership with the other FCC Supporter Groups as donations to the victims of Hurricane Harvey in Texas.
- In 2017 we raised $1,000 for It Starts With the Shoes in our Charity Mug Club promotion.
- In 2018 we plan on canoeing down the Little Miami River to pick up trash! Stay tuned for details!